Low Carbon Energy Technology
Giving learners the skills they need to advance and thrive in modern clean-energy industries such as wind power (onshore and offshore), solar PV, hydrogen and heat pumps.
The demand for Low Carbon Energy specialists is greater than ever in the UK.
New infrastructure projects (including new energy power builds) are emerging across the nation at an ever-increasing rate.
This course uses a range of learning strategies to provide students with an experience of higher education that reflect the requirements for innovation within the low carbon energy industry.
Open University Accreditation
A flexible approach to learning – study from home or on-campus in Cumbria!
Our new Foundation Degrees are accredited by The Open University (subject to validation), and can be studied from anywhere in the UK.
The modules and framework have been developed with employability skills in mind, training you to become a key part of your future workforce.
Low Carbon Video
Course Introduction (from Dr. Farooq Khan)
Dr. Farooq Khan provides an insight into the new Foundation Degree in Low Carbon Energy Technology, taught by Lakes College and accredited by The Open University.
Modules you will study include:
Modules you will study include:
• Environmental Science and Sustainability
• Mechanical Engineering Science and Sustainable Materials
• Electrical Science and Instrumentation
• Physical and Inorganic Chemistry for Low Carbon
• Introduction to Bio Energy Sources
• Energy Storage and Fuel Cell Technology
• Solar and Wind Power Systems
• Industrial Based Project Management, Scheduling and Implementation
- Mathematics For Engineering and Science
- Industrial Based Learning (Introduction to Professional Engineering for Industry)
- Industrial Based Learning (Fault Finding and Root Cause Analysis for Industry)
- Industrial Based Learning (Regulatory Considerations and Personal Professionalism)
- Environmental Science and Sustainability
- Mechanical Engineering Science and Sustainable Materials
- Electrical Science and Instrumentation
- Physical and Inorganic Chemistry for Low Carbon
- Introduction to Bio Energy Sources
- Further Mathematics
- Materials and Solid State
- Energy Storage and Fuel Cell Technology
- Solar Power Systems, Applications and Integration
- Wind Power Systems, Applications and Integration
- Control of Energy Systems
- Industrial Based Project Management
- Industrial Based Project Scheduling
- Industrial Based Project Implementation
There is a growing national need for skills development in Low Carbon Energy Technology, with 260,000 new and 140,000 replacement jobs expected in energy and power by 2050 across the UK.
Upon completion of this course, you will have the opportunity to ‘top-up’ your Foundation Degree at Lakes College with further studies – we provide a progression pathway to the BEng Honours in Low Carbon Energy Technology.
Got any questions?
Our team are here to help – complete the form below and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
Careers + HE Docs Cards
Got any questions about the courses we offer?
Our friendly team of trained experts are available to help with any questions you may have regarding the courses we offer, finance options, career pathways and more. Book an appointment with a careers advisor today!
Before you study with us...
There are a number of important Higher Education documents that you need to be aware of before studying a Higher Education course with us. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the documents before applying.